Vessel registration has been in practice in one form or another since the earliest days of trading across the seas. It was used as a means to protect local markets by regulating ships transporting cargo among European nations and to ensure that ships were built locally and used local crews.
Today, every vessel wishing to travel internationally must be registered. Vessel registration is used to document a vessel’s ownership in order to provide evidence of its nationality for international law purposes. The nationality of a vessel allows it to travel wherever citizens of that nation are authorised to travel.
The Advantages of Gibraltar
There are many advantages to registering a vessel in Gibraltar, particularly from the point of view of security and reliability. Vessels registered in Gibraltar are registered on the British flag. International conventions and agreements regarding shipping and safety, ratified by the United Kingdom, apply to Gibraltar.
• The vessel will fly the British Red Ensign) and enjoy the international recognition, protection and unrivaled prestige that comes with it.
• The ability to seek assistance from any of the British embassies and consulates worldwide where the vessel may be situated and protection by the Royal Navy.
• Legal title of vessel ownership on registration of transfer of ownership is a straight forward process.
• All vital details concerning the vessel is contained in the register, and in the certificate of British registry (“blue book”).
• No import duty (provided the vessel is not permanently based in Gibraltar)
• No tax on the sale of the vessel.
• Crew can organise their personal affairs from Gibraltar including everything from banking, investments, insurance, health, legal and tax affairs.
More detail can be found via our website here.
Your Views and Comments
Do you have any comments about our news? We would love to hear from you. Please reply, the best comments may be shared.
Whatever the Size of Your Vessel, Europa Marine Consultants Ltd can Assist.
Europa Marine Consultants Ltd is part of the Europa Group. We have been based in Gibraltar since 1987 and have built a reputation as a stable and reputable business.
Whatever the size of your vessel we, on a daily basis, register and manage both private and commercial vessels in ports of registry worldwide. Our extensive expertise and understanding of each client’s individual requirements is matched by a wide range of supporting services. All our services come with the reassurance of a knowledgeable response, professional ethic and unwavering customer focus.
Our experienced and dedicated marine team provides a full range of tailored services to seafarers whatever the size and wherever the vessel.
Contact us today to find out how we can help you with your vessel needs.